Thursday, September 17, 2015

Belonging in the Gardens

This past weekend, my wife and I went to a different part of the state on a Sunday drive. We wanted to see some different scenery and drove with no particular destination in mind. It was a beautiful day that was warm enough to be out in shorts but cool enough not to sweat half to death in Georgia heat. I saw a sign that said Barnsley Gardens. Out of curiosity I decided to follow it. I have to admit that I got a bit frustrated because there was no true indication of how long it would take to get to this location from the first sign that I spotted. However, with some determination we stayed the path.

I must say that I am happy that we did.

Barnsley Gardens is a resort/golf course nestled in Adairsville, Georgia. Upon driving up to the Gardens, there was an immediate feeling of discomfort by both of us. The golf course was immaculate and surrounded by lush trees and foliage. The gate person was energetic and friendly and made us feel comfortable. We approached the Grill with apprehension. People walked around in designer clothing and expensive jewelry. My wife had never been to a country club.



Wife: “I’m scared to go in here. I don’t feel like we belong. Are you afraid?"

Me: “Yes. And that’s what makes this exciting.”

We sat down and viewed the menu and yes, it was a little pricey (for us) but we were able to afford an entry and split it between us. As we ate, we had a view of the golf course and observed a young lady on the putting green embarrass a young man with her considerable skills. Afterward, we took a walk around the property and listened to sound unfamiliar sound of relaxing silence. 



We took pictures of the gentle swaying bamboo garden, the sweet smelling landscape and the brick ruins of a house.

My point is that ‘belonging’, in many instances, is a state of mind. Sometimes, the boundaries that we give ourselves that somehow, we aren’t worthy of something, are worse than the boundaries that actually exist.

I look forward to “crashing” another country club.


Adrian “Asia” Petty is an independent comic book publisher and director at Jericho Projects, Inc. Find out more about our books at http://www.jerichoprojects.com and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/jerichoprojects

No comments:

Post a Comment